Bollards on Birks Fold
Birks Fold is a narrow road that serves Lidget Green Primary School, Scholemoor Cemetery and a small housing development. At times it is a very busy road, especially when there are funerals during the afternoon and when children go home at the end of the school day. When the road is busy motorists park on double yellow lines and also on both sides of the pavement at the end of Birks Fold.
This creates a dangerous and sometimes volatile situation. As a result of this inconsiderate parking:-
- Motorists leaving Birks Fold trying to enter Cemetery Road have an obstructed view of traffic and are having to pull out into the main road to ensure no cars are coming
- The bottleneck at the end of Birks Fold, resulting from cars parked on the pavement prevents cars entering Birks Fold resulting in cars backing up along Cemetery Road
- Cars are parking on the pavement adjacent to the main exit and entrance from the playground. Children have great difficulty crossing the road because their view is blocked by parked cars
- Arguments and near fights have occurred on numerous occasions because of the traffic situation
The police, traffic wardens and PCSO’s are having to spend a great deal of their valuable time patrolling Birks Fold to ensure the safety of children and pedestrians
Funeral corteges have had difficult entering and exiting Birks Fold at certain times of the day which adds to an already stressful situation for those involved.
The purpose of the project is to erect barriers at the East side of Birks Fold to prevent cars from parking on the pavement. Also we wish to erect a barrier near the school pedestrian entrance to stop children running directly into the road-this is being funded by the council.
Aims and Objectives of the Project
- To erect barriers and bollards to improve the safety of children as they walk along and cross Birks Fold
- Make it safer for motorists as they leave Birks Fold and enter Cemetery Road by preventing cars parking on the pavement and obscuring motorists view
- To ease car congestion on Cemetery Road and Birks Fold, particularly at the end of the school day
The total cost of the project was £7,222. Big Local funded £2875, Lidget Green Primary contributed £2875 and Bradford Council picked up the remaining £1472.
To download a copy of the project plan in pdf format, please click here